Monday, April 19, 2010

Sense of Place Interview

For this interview I decided to interview my grandfather. My grandpa was born on March 8, 1940. As assumed, he grew up a lot differently that I did. Beside the usual “walking to school barefoot, in the snow, uphill both ways to school every day, ” jargon that I normally get from him, I learned that he was raised a lot differently than I was. “Things aren’t the same they used to be love,” he kept saying. We didn’t have all these computers and technology, we played outside.” I think this is why him and my grandma were loved their garden and yard so much. Before my grandma died, she would spend hours a day planning, transplanting and pulling weeds out of her garden. My grandpa is the same, always out in the yard.
Although it is obvious that they have a connection with a land, I don’t really think they are educated about it. I was telling my grandpa what I was learning in class, and he kept telling me the government schemes that were out there to get rid of all the people and blah blah blah. I don’t think he really understood what I was talking about. Although I believe the government is mostly at fault for letting things get to where they are, I don’t think they did it on purpose. I think that they were just focused on the money and I hope that if they knew the consequences of what would have happened, things would have changed.
My grandpa talked about how they used to play outside and not have to worry about all the things we worry about. Not so much the crime part of it, but the health effects of things like the sun and the pollution. My grandpa just had spots of skin cancer removed from four different parts of his body.

That really makes me wonder. It made me think about what skin cancer is cause from. Did he get it because he worked outside all those years without a drop of sunscreen? Or was it caused recently because of the depleted ozone layer? Is it just the sun’s fault and the missing education he had of the sun’s effects? Or did we make it that bad? Did we make it that bad with all the pollution and Co2 emissions?
My grandpa liked the fact that I was learning about sustainability and the environment, but he just couldn’t get over the government conspiracies’!



For more information about his conspiracy theories google "Fema Coffins" or Fema Concentration Camps.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxm8lB-V2uI

No comments:

Post a Comment