Monday, April 19, 2010

Final Impressions

Originally, I hated the fact that I was required to take this course for FGCU. I thought it was going to be a stupid, busy work, Gordon Rule writing class and I really didn’t feel like dealing with it! To be honest, I took the internet class because I did not want to drive an hour and a half for this class.
That was my biggest mistake all semester!
Throughout the semester I have learned a ton of information about sustainability and the environment. Things that I knew were important, but I really had no idea what they were. I have already noticed a change in the way that I am living. Think about the environment when I’m grocery shopping; now I mostly buy organic, locally grown produce and I buy humanely raised chicken. I very rarely eat beef any more thanks to the video Food, Inc! I have been watching my water usage like crazy and started using refillable bottles instead of buying bottled water. I even get on my roommates all the time about their bad habits; they don’t like that too much. After l realizing my fuel usage I am actually considering buying a new, more sustainable and environmentally friendly car. The knowledge that I have gained has really changed my living habits.
As mentioned above, taking this class online was my biggest mistake. I really think that a lot of the emphasis and information was lost because of it. I did not like the self guided field trips. I feel that I did not learn much from them. If I could change anything, it would really be anything about the course, just that I would take it in person instead of online. I think that students planning on taking the course virtually should be warned of the requirements and the self guided field trips.
Even so, I think that this class, or one similar to it, should be required at every college, or even at every high school! The information learned is vital to the sustainability of our world and possibly the survival of mankind. If we do not learn to change or ways we will not have any ways! We will just be ashes in the dust, who wants to live like that?

No comments:

Post a Comment