Sunday, April 18, 2010

Corkscrew Swamp

My trip to Corkscrew swamp was a very interesting one. I was up all night the night before and had been up since 5:30am. I was tired, I was grumpy, and I really didn't feel like doing this field trip. I keep thinking to myself: "A swamp? What is so interesting about a swamp?" After the two hour drive out to the swamp I wanted to see it even less. BUT, because i knew it was a requirement for a class i knew it had to be done, ALONE, because no one else would go with me. But I'm a trooper, and I like the outdoors so I started my lonely journey through Corkscrew Swamp.
After the two hour drive, all I could really think about was the bathroom! So as soon as I got there that is straight where i went. On my way out I noticed the cool tree stump right outside of the women's restroom. It was really interesting, so interesting i kept trying to figure out how i could get one in my yard! It reminded me of when I was younger and tried to see pictures in the clouds. I had this strange urge to do this with this tree stump! I was always told about the rings in the tree, but never that I could find pictures! This one reminds me of an elephant! I wonder what kind of tree it is?
After my stop to the bathroom I went to the visitors center to find out exactly what I was supposed to do. He gave me the information for the used water tanks (which at first I was kind of weirded out by, but then after I read more about them it all made sense) and told me that I could take a short cut. To be honest... I was just going to go around the first little loop and take a bunch of pictures and be done with it. All I could think about what my bed!
I started my walk, it was very quite and kind of lonely, but at the same time it was kind of relaxing. I quickly came up group of people crowding around one of the volunteers. This kind of sparked my interestt so I walk over. When I finally saw what they saw I forgot about my bed! There was three little raccoons feeding close to the boardwalk. The were really cute and interesting to! I noticed that the never looked at what they were doing. One of the babies kept his eye on the people why he was searching for food and never once looked down to see what was in his hands. I asked the volunteer about that and he said that they have extremely sensitive hands and all they need to do it feel it, not see it! I couldn't help but to think about my views on raccoons. Normally, I think they are really discusting. Ravaging through trashcans and garbage, crossing the street like little burglars. I thought about all the ones I saw dead on the side of the road to. I always associated them with nasty little creatures who were always getting into things. However, when I saw them in this habitat, feeding, my heart kind of went out to them. I didn't think of them as little varmints anymore, but poor animals who have no choice left. With all the buildings and streets and houses these animals have no place to go. I will think differently the next time I shew them off.

Again I was off on the trail and I caught myself day dreaming. I kept thinking about the raccoons and the swamp and was just enjoying my walk. I would stop at each of the signs and read the information. Look around every time I heard a noise, kept wondering if I would see anymore wildlife. I found the signs to be really interesting and I learned some cool facts. I always thought that fires were bad, but apparently they can help the forests by burning away the little plants/weeds that take up all the food and nutrients. My favorite sign was the History of the swamp. I kept thinking about A Land Remembered. The information on the sign reminded me of my thoughts in the paper. The entire swamp made me think of that book. The cabbage in the swamp and the swamp cabbage that they made in the story. I kept thinking about the part in the book where Tobias takes a few of the cows through the swamp even after the old mans warning and they almost get killed by the alligators. I know it wasn't the same swamp but i couldn't help but wonder if that's what it looked like.

Before I knew it was way passed the short cut and almost done with the trail! I had managed to take an hour to walk around the swamp looking at all the interesting things. I did see one alligator, but he was so far away I barley recognized what it was. I also found some interesting information about the strangler vines. I thought they looked cool, and the name fit them well.
Overall, I really enjoyed my journey through the swamp, even though I got rained on the last quarter mile! I learned some interesting facts and saw some interesting and pretty things! I would like to go back when I'm not so tired and enjoy it more. I know my boyfriend would love to go to because he loves the outdoors!




No comments:

Post a Comment