Thursday, January 21, 2010

Sense of Place

I just recently moved into the neighborhood that I currently live in. I have two awesome roommates, Sorimar and Carol. My puppy Zeus also lives with me. I was nervous when I first moved into this house because of the looks of the neighborhood. Although I have always preferred the country to the city, I felt that this house was way out in the boonies! All of the houses were older and a little run down, and the people seemed kind of sketchy. However, my first look into our back yard changed my feelings a little bit. The picture to the right is of my dog and I gazing into the pasture of horses and cows that live directly behind us. Although our house was placed on a small lot, the view was just amazing. I seemed to adapt better to the situation than my roommates, who were both from New York, but I think they are becoming more comfortable with it.

I walk our neighborhood daily with my puppy Zeus, so this task was nothing new to either one of us. However, this time I did stop and notice a few different things. All of the houses in our neighborhood have well water and septic systems. I'm not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing, but it is kinda of weird to me because our neighborhood is placed almost directly behind a Winn-Dixie. As far as I know they have city water and sewer and was probably built around the same time as our neighborhood, if not after it. That was just something that caught my attention that I hadn't noticed before. We have a few empty lots in our neighborhood, some are cleared and some still have trees and plants still on them. As far as species, I have noticed a number of frogs and lizards and a ton of SNAKES! Besides the dogs and cats like live in the area, and the horses and cows behind our house, those are about the only species that live in the natural environment.

As mentioned before, I prefer the country over the city. I was born and raised in Texas, however I lived in Houston, which is all city. I found myself "escaping" multiple times a week to my aunt and uncles house in Santa Fe, Texas. They had about nine acres of land that I used to roam around on. I love to ride four wheelers and bike, so I was always in heaven out there. I think that my sense of place is outside. I love to fish (catch and release), take bike rides, long walks, hiking, the beach, SCUBA diving. Although I haven't done it yet I would really like to get into kayaking. The outdoors is where I go when I'm stressed or just need to relax; however, I didn't realize I was doing that until after I read the Louv articles out of the University Reader. Things just started clicking! Louv's philosophy reminds me a lot of my boyfriend and his feelings towards nature.
Overall, I think I fit in pretty well in my neighborhood. As for my neighbors, they weren't really sketchy at all, just quiet.

No comments:

Post a Comment