Monday, January 25, 2010

Incoming Reflection

When I transferred to FGCU and I first heard about a "Colloquium" class I was completely unaware of what it was. I thought it was going to be a easy, zoom through freshmen level course that I would pass and that would be the end of it. However, when I found out what it was about and that it related to a lot of my hobbies, I became very excited!

Since I was young, I have always loved the outdoors. I've been involved with sports for as long as I can remember, playing softball, cheerleading/drill team. My grandfather used to always take me fishing with him, and I have grown to love it more and more everyday. I love anything about being on the water, whether it is just hanging out on the beach, playing beach volleyball, fishing, swimming, boating or diving, I am in my own little slice of Heaven. I love being in nature to, camping, hiking, etc; however, I get to enjoy the water more often. Mostly because I live so close it it! I feel that nature, as Richard Louv describes it, "Calm[s] me, focuse[s] me and excite[s] my senses"(Gifts of Nature, Louv). Nature , or anywhere in the natural environment, helps me de-stress and relax, even if I am doing hard labor like working in the yard.

Although I am all about nature, one downfall about this class is that I was forced to take it online because of my schedule. I am worried that I will not receive the full effects from it because of this. Also, as just mentioned, I am extremely busy and have a very hectic schedule, and I'm worried that the amount of course work (mostly just the amount of writing) is going to clash with my crazy life. I am fortunate however, that it is about something that I really love!

I believe that this class will help me and my future because it will teach me about the importance of our natural resources and maintaining our environment. I love being outside and what not, but I am unaware of all the science that is involved with our world and nature its self. I would like to come out of this class with a good foundation of knowledge that will help me help myself and others improve and help the environment!

No comments:

Post a Comment