Monday, March 8, 2010

Water Reflection

I don’t believe that a single person or entity should have rights to water that flows beneath common grounds in order to sell it for profit. To capture the water and use it for personal use perhaps but not to sell. Money is the reason we are in this mess in the first place. If it were profitable to conserve and preserve I bet we would see a lot more of that going on. As Ralph Nader said “The use of solar energy has not been opened up because the oil industry does not own the sun.” It’s this type of thinking that has this planet in a strangle hold. Now as anything this is a two way road. If the water is not utilized it cannot benefit the local residents and you can bet that this resource will not be utilized if it is not profitable to someone as a monetary gain. Diverting water will of course have some impact on the wildlife. Water that once flowed through certain areas and provided drinking water or irrigation for plants and animals may be reduced or completely disappear. If his plan is rejected perhaps the city of Dallas can impose tighter restrictions on water usage. Only watering lawns or washing cars on certain days such as we have in Florida now. If Florida continues to grow at its present rate we will have tremendous fresh water problems in the near future. Florida being one of the fastest growing states in the country already faces water conservation issues and things will only get worse unless some action is taken. There are underground springs and rivers of fresh water in Florida that could definitely give rise to a similar situation.

1) Shower. 12 mins once a day @ 12 gpm = 12 gal
2) Brushing teeth/face washing twice a day 2 qt each time =1 gal
3) Toilet flushes 1.6 gal per flush 5 times per day = 8 gal
4) Drinking/cooking approximately 1 gal per day
5) Dog drinking water approximately 1 gal per day
6) Dish washing approximately 1 ½ gal per day
Total 24.5 gallons per day

I feel that I am pretty conservative in my water usage. I rarely wash my car and don’t water my lawn or garden. Laundry isn’t done on a daily basis but my washer uses about 55 gallons per large load, which I do about once a week. I also use a water saving shower head that limits flow to 1gpm. I turn the water off while brushing my teeth and only turn it on to rinse. According to http://www.waterconservationschool.com/ the average Florida resident uses 120-150 gallons of water per day and adults only need 2.5 quarts per day to maintain health. After visiting their site I feel comfortable saying that I contribute to water conservation.

Resources:
waterconservationschool.com
Quote found on http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/r/ralphnader104963.html

Thought Provoking Video!!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NT44cRWg740

No comments:

Post a Comment