Friday, March 5, 2010

My Ecological Footprint

After taking the consumer consequences quiz online, I was very interested in my results. My score was 3.1 planet earths. I really thought that it was a lot! I also thought that I lived a pretty sustainable life, besides the elements that are out of my control. I try to recycle as much as possible and I buy energy efficient products (if I can afford them). I turn off the lights when I don't use them and I unplug my electronics (except the ones I use daily and are hard to get to i.e. my TV and alarm clock). I found that my biggest issues are transportation and the food I consume. I drive ALOT! I live in Punta Gorda and I commute to FGCU or Fort Myers three days a week :-/ I traded in my truck for a more economical car that get more miles to a gallon. I also try to plan my class schedule so I can travel to FGCU as least as possible (as much as the school will let me)! Hence me taking a internet class to save on gas. I would also like to mention that FGCU doesn’t care if you have to drive. I think they should take this quiz and learn more about creating a sustainable environment! I also have a very hectic, CRAZY schedule. When I'm not at school I'm working, When I'm not working I'm at school, and have the time I'm leaving from one to go to the other. Due to this, I am forced to eat out a lot or eat a good number of snacks. I don’t really have a chance, or the time to prepare my meals. I eat a lot at my job and unfortunately some fast food too. Recently however, I have been bringing my lunch to school instead of buying subway, and I have been buying healthier snack and organic food. I eat a lot more fruits and vegetables (locally grown I might add) and since my Food, Inc movie I have pretty much stayed away from ground beef and now I buy “humanely raised, cage free, and hormone free” chicken! Wal-Mart just started carrying this type of chicken, I found that pretty exciting.
After I received my score I compared myself to a few different types of groups. I found that my score was lower than the averages of the others. I compared myself. To other females (3.7), people who make between $15,000 and $50,000 a year (3.6), and to the average of people in Florida (4.7). I would really like to work on my transportation issues. I just have a hard time finding people to carpool with, and there is no public transportation that travels from Punta Gorda to Fort Myers. Also, I find it hard to not buy new things because of the way things are made these days. Nothing is made to last any more. They make things to break so we are forced to but the product again. Back in the day houses and other essentials were made to last, not anymore! I really wish that people would stop being so focused on money and more about creating a sustainable environment!

No comments:

Post a Comment