Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Food Intake and Packaging



Food Intake: PT=Put it Together P= Purchased PM= Pre-Made
- 1 Bagel w/ cream cheese (PT) 210cal.
- 1 Banana (P) 105cal.
- 1 12oz glass of Florida’s natural Orange Juice (P) 110cal.
- 1 Strawberry Yogurt (P) 170 cal
- 1 2oz bag of Cheez-Its (P) 160cal
- 16oz bottle of water (P)
- 1 turkey sandwich made with whole wheat bread, pickles, mustard and cheese. (PT)361cal
- 1 cup of grapes (P) 62cal.
- 1 apple (P) 74cal
- 20oz bottle of Lemon Lime Gatorade (P) 20cal
- 1 chicken breast with seasoning (PT) 165cal
- 5oz mashed potatoes (P) 80cal
- 3oz Corn (P) 132cal.
- 12oz Coke(P) 97cal.
- 10oz cup of Chai Tea (PT) 180cal
Approximant Calorie intake = 1, 971 cal.
I looked up the calorie amount at http://www.caloriecount.about.com/. According to the site, for my age, height and weight and my activity level, my daily calorie intake is about 1,700 calories a day. None of the food that I eat this day was pre-made. Most of it I had purchased at the store that didn’t need to be made, or I put it together myself. I could not find how the amount of energy that went into packaging my food, but I can assume that it is a lot because most of it was in separate packages. I think that most of my food choices are sustainable and healthy. I try and buy organic items and I buy my produce at the farmers market every Saturday morning.

Portable Items
- I-phone – cardboard and plastic
- Ear phones - plastic and cardboard
- Textbook - plastic wrap
- Laptop – cardboard, plastic wrap, Styrofoam
- Carmax – cardboard and plastic
- Mail = 95% junk
- Plastic water bottles and drinks
- Toothbrush – cardboard and plastic
- Majority of my food – plastic or Styrofoam
There are a ton of items that I use every day that come in packaging. After thinking about this I realize that even though we might try to eat healthy and organically, its almost impossible to live a sustainable lifestyle because of what everything come in. I couldn’t tell you how much water is used to make these products, but I’m sure it is a lot. I know that the main ingredient in plastic is Oil and that it isn’t good for the environment at all. I recycle my water bottles and plastic drink bottles, but I just realized how much I probably just throw away from that packaging my things come in.
I have however, become more away about my plastic bottle situation. Instead of buying bottled water I started buying gallons and refilling my smaller water bottle for convince. I have well water so I don’t drink from the tap. Instead of buying new gallons every time I run out, I refill them at my boyfriend’s house and reuse the gallon containers.
I think that more people should realize how much waste we use and how much plastic and other things we throw away without thinking about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment