Monday, January 25, 2010

Campus and Trails

I walked the trails of FGCU today with my nature loving boyfriend. I was unaware of what to expect when we started our journey today, but I found one of FGCU's best kept secret. It didn't take me long to find it, it was one of the first things we saw when we started our hike. The area with the hammock and picnic tables is now my favorite place to be at FGCU. I have a three hour break between my morning class and afternoon class, and I usually spend it in the library working on homework, or sitting outside the subway taking in the sun light. However, I now think that I will take the walk to that little spot for my break. It was amazing! It was so peaceful and quite, and best of all, surrounded by nature. My boyfriend and I took an extra twenty minutes and just sat in the hammock and enjoyed the silence. Well, the silence from the people anyway. Noises surrounded us, but they were natural and serene...until a class walked up and started talking (: Without this class, I would have never known about that little spot, I would have never known that I had my own little slice of heaven so close while I was at school. And to be honest, I hope it doesn't become to popular, because then I think it will loose it's edge.

I was a little surprised when we started our trek to see all of the fallen trees. I know it comes natural, but it seemed that there were more than normal fallen over. We even came across a tree that look like it had been hacked at by an axe. I was also disappointed to see the amount of trash that I saw (soda cans, plastic wrappers). At one point I even came across a strand of barbed wire, shiny and new, just sitting there waiting for some poor little animal to get tangled in it. I was also disappointed that just when I thought we were really getting deep into the trail we were all of a sudden right behind a man made drainage ditch and construction. Those were probably the only downfalls I encountered. Other than those few things, the trail was very relaxing. To my dismay, we did not encounter any wildlife, or native species. However, we did come across some, what we thought to be anyway, boar tracks. It did rain this morning, so it was kind of unclear.
I really enjoyed walking through the woods. It was very peaceful with only the sound of the creaking trees to accompany us. I remember when I took my campus tour before I transferred to to FGCU. Our guide told us about the conditions that were made when the man who paid for the school signed it over and how they can only build on a certain percentage of the land. I didn't really think to much in to it then, but now I have a better understanding. I think he had a really good idea, and I wish more people thought like that. I am glad that I am taking this class, and I am really looking forward to learning more about the campus, and how to help our planet.

No comments:

Post a Comment